1) Always remember to do a test strand and patch test before lightening and dyeing.
2) When mixing MANIC PANIC® Hair Colors together always do a test strand first!
3) Always wear protective coloring gloves.
4) Apply petroleum jelly or a thick conditioner around your hairline to avoid staining skin.
5) Wear clothes that you don’t mind getting messy.
6) Lightening with MANIC PANIC® Flashlightning® Kit works best on hair that has not been washed for a few days. Your body’s natural oils will help hydrate hair.
7) Lay an old towel or newspaper down on floor and around the sink where you are coloring to avoid staining carpets, floors, and sinks.
8) Use mirrors for even application if you can’t find someone to help you apply MANIC PANIC® hair products.
9) Do not get in the shower! Rinse hair away from face, preferably in a kitchen sink to avoid staining white tubs and your skin.
10) Always use cool/cold water when rinsing out MANIC PANIC® Hair Color.
11) We recommended you don’t shampoo or condition for at least a week after you dye.
Rockabilly™ Blue Hair Color Tips
Manic Panic® has just released Rockabilly™ Blue Hair Color for our 35 year "Manniversary.” It is our highest pigmented hair color and should be used sparingly. Here are a few tips to “Rock” this color:
Always wear protective coloring gloves when applying and rinsing color out
Make sure to use petroleum jelly or a thick conditioner around the hairline and ears to prevent any unwanted staining
Apply to dry hair sparingly, this color is so strong you won't need a lot
Comb through to make sure it is applied evenly
Let process until hair color dries, this will prevent any unwanted bleeding
Put on protective gloves
Do not Rinse hair in the Shower. Rinse with cool water away from the face!!
Rinse until water runs clear, this may take some time but it’s worth it
Once water runs clear, apply a thick conditioner to hair and rinse again until water runs clear Rainbow Dip Dye
For this process we recommend having someone assist in the dyeing process or visiting a professional stylist.
1)Start with Electric Banana®. Apply in the middle of the section. This will be the largest section. (use to blend with other colors).
2) Apply Pillarbox Red™ starting on top of the yellow, about 2 inches and blend into a small section of the yellow. Overlap small section of Pillarbox Red™ onto the Electric Banana®. Use gloved finger to blend red and yellow in this section to make orange.
3) Apply Shocking Blue™ beneath the Electric Banana®. Overlap small section of Shocking Blue™ onto the Electric Banana®. Use gloved finger to blend blue and yellow in this section to make green.
4) Apply Purple Haze® beneath the Shocking Blue™. Stop 1 inch away from the ends.
5) Apply Hot Hot™ Pink to the space left at the ends and above the Pillarbox Red™.
6) Make sure all colors are blended evenly.
7) Gently comb through on both sides.
8) Let process for one hour. Use heat if applicable. For best results wait until color dries.
When ready to rinse wear gloves, try to hold hair flat under cool water to wash. Start from the ends and slowly move up until water runs clear. This will keep the colors from blending into each other.
Two-Toned Manic Panic® Hair
Use a comb to part a horizontal line around the center of your head (from ear to ear).
1) Pin the top section separate from the bottom with clips.
2) Apply the Manic Panic® Hair Color on the top section first, making sure you don’t get any color on the bottom half.
3) Wrap the top half with a plastic cap to protect it from bleeding.
4) Apply Manic Panic® Hair Color to bottom section.
5) Wrap with plastic cap or clip away.
6) Let color process for 1 hour.
7) In a sink carefully rinse, away from your face, color from top section first with cool water until the water runs clear.
8) Rinse bottom section following the same instructions.
9 )Dry hair and style as usual.
If possible have a friend help or visit a professional stylist
Tish’s Horizontal Stripes
Use a Manic Panic® Flashlightning® Kit to pre-lighten your hair.
1) Using a color brush, carefully paint horizontal stripes of alternating Manic Panic® Hair Colors of your choice.
2) Leave color on hair for several hours or until the color dries. This will minimize color bleeding.
3) Rinse hair with cold water
Visit a professional stylist for this look or have a friend help apply the dye; Tish’s hubby helped her!
Dying Without Pre–Lightening
Yes, it is possible to love and enjoy Manic Panic® Hair Color without pre-lightening your hair! Manic Panic’s darker High Voltage™ Classic Cream and Amplified™ colors can work on hair that is not lightened.
We recommend After Midnight®, Enchanted Forest™, Fuchsia Shock®, Green Envy™, Hot Hot™ Pink, Infra™ Red, Pillarbox Red™, Purple Haze®, Raven™, Rock’n’Roll™ Red, and Vampire™ Red.
1) Wash hair with a deep cleansing shampoo, do not condition.
2) Dry hair with a blow dryer to make sure the hair is extremely porous and to remove excess water.
3) Apply Manic Panic® Hair Color.
4) Wrap hair in a plastic cap.
5) For best results sit under a hair dryer for part of the processing time. This will help open the cuticle and allow the Manic Panic® Hair Color to penetrate the hair strand.
6) Leave on for at least an hour. The longer the better — it will do no harm!
7) Rinse hair away from the face with cold water until the water runs clear.
8) Towel dry and Style as usual.
Enjoy your new hair color!!!
Celebrity Stylist Orlando Pita, as seen in the article in The New York Times, created beautiful pastel hair colors for the article Easter Bonnets. It features models sporting all over pastel locks in gorgeous shades of Manic Panic® Electric Banana®, Cotton Candy™ Pink, Bad Boy™ Blue, and Lie Locks™.
Here is how he did it:
1) Pre-lighten hair to the lightest blonde, we recommend our 40 volume Flashlightning® kit. (This should be done gradually in order to preserve hair condition.)
2) Rinse lightener out of hair with shampoo and warm water, do not condition!
3) Dry hair completely.
4) Tone hair with Amplified Manic Panic® Virgin Snow™ toner in order to have a white base. (Hair must be white to achieve a pastel, if it has too much yellow you will end up with a dirty pastel!)
5) Leave Manic Panic® Virgin Snow™ in for at least an hour or until white is achieved.
6) Remove with cool water and dry hair completely.
7) Next you will need to create your pastel.
8) Start by mixing equal parts of Manic Panic® Virgin Snow™ and the desired Manic Panic® Hair Color.
9) Perform a Test Strand before applying to check the ratios. If you don’t have any leftover Virgin Snow Toner you can use a thick white conditioner to dilute the color. This may take a few try’s to achieve the color you want.
10) Once you have created the correct mixture apply color all over hair.
11) Comb through hair until Manic Panic® Hair Color becomes frothy to make sure it is evenly applied.
12) Let process for at least 1 hour. The longer you leave Manic Panic® Hair Color on the more it will absorb and hydrate your hair. (For best results apply heat with a blow dryer for 5-10 minutes.)
13) Once desired color is achieved rinse Manic Panic® Hair Color from hair with cold water until water runs clear.
14) Dry hair and enjoy your Easter bonnet!
Tish’s Trick: Mix a little color in with your conditioner to freshen the color after when you wash your hair.
1) Comb hair free of all tangles and knots.
2) Have pre cut foils on hand about 4 inches wide 8 inches long (depending on hair length).
3) Use clips to section hair into manageable sections.
4) Use foiling comb or end of tint brush to make a horizontal parting and slice it in half. The section should be thin enough to see through.
5) Take foil and fold 1 inch around your tail comb and put it underneath the section you have for highlighting.
6) Once it’s secure, use your color brush to apply lightener.
7) Start in the middle with a heavily saturated brush. this will insure the foil sticks to the hair and does not slip.
8) Remove comb from foil.
9) Using your extended thumb and index finger hold foil in place and evenly saturate hair strand.
10) Repeat steps until all highlights are finished.
11) Leave lightener on for recommended time (varies from person to person).
12) Once desired blonde is achieved remove foils and shampoo lightener from hair with warm water.
13) Towel dry hair to remove excess water.
14) Separate sections of blonde from the rest of hair.
15) Apply Manic Panic® Hair Color to these strands and isolate with foil.
16) Let process for 30 minutes to an hour.
17) Rinse each foil separately with cool water to avoid color bleeding
Depending on the length and thickness of your dreadlocks, you may need a few jars of Manic Panic® Hair Color.
1) Make sure to wear gloves.
2) Section dreads.
3) Saturate each dread heavily with a color brush or your gloved hands (about a third of it soaks into the dread).
4) Wrap each dread with foil to avoid color bleeding.
5) Leave on for at least 1 hour.
6) Rinse carefully with cold water until the water runs clear; do not use shampoo, as this will pull the color out.
7) Carefully blot each dread with a towel.
8) Make sure each dread is completely dry before going to bed or wearing a hat.
1) Take ends of hair and gather small sections in to small ponytails.
2) Pre–lighten the ends of ponytails and isolate with foil.
3) Follow instructions and leave on until a light blonde is reached.
4) Do not remove ponytail rubber bands, wash lightener out with warm water and shampoo ends.
5) Dry ends with towel and blow dry.
6) Using several different Manic Panic® colors, we suggest Manic Panic® Hair Colors Electric Banana®, Hot Hot™ Pink, Shocking Blue™, Electric Lizard™, and Purple Haze® to create a fun, multicolored rainbow.
7) Using gloved hands and tint brush alternate colors on each ponytail end.
8) Isolate with foil to prevent color bleeding.
9) Let process for 1 hour.
10) Wash each pony tail individually with cool water until water runs clear.
11) Remove pony tail rubber bands and dry hair completely
If you have a Tip or Trick you think should be included, please e–mail it to Gooby
For further information check out How to Dye, the FAQs according to Snooky, or get advice from real Dyehards® in Hair Color in Action.
You can also contact Tish & Snooky's® MANIC PANIC® NYC at (718) 937–6055